The Swidget Wall Switch can be installed in either 3-way or single-pole configurations. This article outlines the steps required to install a Swidget Wall Switch in a 3-way configuration. If you are not sure about any part of these instructions, consult an electrician.
Note: All Swidget Devices require a neutral wire. If you don't have a neutral wire, please see the I don't have a neutral wire article.
For 3- and 4-way setups, only one switch is required to be a Swidget 1P/3-Way Switch. The other switches in the configuration can be standard 3-way switches.
- Turn off power at circuit breaker or fuse
- Choose the switch to be replaced with Swidget 1P/3-Way Switch. Remove faceplate and old switch from wall box (leave wires attached).
Note: It helps to take a picture of the wiring setup for future reference.
- Remove the load, line, traveler, and ground wires from your old switch.
Note: To determine which wires are the load and line, cap each of the wires, turn the power back ON at the breaker, and check which wire is energized using a voltage detector. This is the line wire. Turn the power OFF at the circuit breaker before moving on.
- Install the Swidget Switch according to the diagram below. Use the wire nuts provided. The wire nuts can accept three 14 AWG wires.
- Install the new switch into the wall box and install your faceplate (sold separately).
- Turn the power back ON at the circuit breaker.
For instructions on setting up an Insert, follow the links below: